When Andrew and I started Canny together, we didn’t think much of it. We had hacked together on multiple projects by then and enjoyed working together. Start a company with our significant other? Let’s do it!
Over time, people always seem to be surprised that we’ve been able to make it work. I wouldn’t say it’s been smooth sailing this whole time but we're still going strong.
I asked a question on Indie Hackers for those who were curious about our journey as cofounders and a couple. In this post, we’ve answered the most common questions.
But first, here’s a quick recap of our relationship:
- Andrew and I met while working at Facebook in California. I’m a product designer and Andrew’s a software engineer. I was interning and Andrew had just started full-time.
- I went back to Toronto to finish school. Cue the long distance relationship!
- I accept a full-time offer at Facebook. A month before my start date, Andrew quits to work on a very similar-but-different version of Canny. It was called Product Pains (cringe).
- A year and a half later, I quit my job at Facebook to join Andrew.
- We flipped Product Pains into Canny and launched it on Product Hunt. Woo!
- We left California to start our journey as nomads.
Sidenote: There's a visual recap of this journey on our Instagram @carryoncode.
Alright, now that you know us so well, on to the questions!
… in a future post :)